[tlug] Debian 8 to 9

I've upgraded three or four systems from Debian 8 to 9 in the last
year (and installed another four or five Debian 9). These have been
mainly my desktop systems.

The transition for me has been almost unnoticable. I have one old
program using very old libraries (`xv`) that will no longer build on
new installs, but other than that everything's been fine.

That said, when I run database-based websites and the like, I use
Docker containers rather than native OS facilities, so I wouldn't
normally encounter problems with different versions of system packages
like MySQL.

As for what to back up, start with nothing. Instead, build a new
Debian 9 VM and get everything you need running it. Contgratulations,
you now have not a useless backup plan but a useful (and tested!)
disaster recovery plan. :-)

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974