Re: [tlug] Debian 8 to 9

On Dec 18, 2017, at 10:01, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> I've upgraded three or four systems from Debian 8 to 9 in the last
> year —————snip------

nice

> That said, when I run database-based websites and the like, I use
> Docker containers rather than native OS facilities, so I wouldn't
> normally encounter problems with different versions of system packages
> like MySQL.

Hmm, I feel another software installation Docker learning curve approaching… sounds nice.

> As for what to back up, start with nothing. Instead, build a new
> Debian 9 VM and get everything you need running it. Contgratulations,
> you now have not a useless backup plan but a useful (and tested!)
> disaster recovery plan. :-)

So you are suggesting continuing debian 8, install Docker containers and get a debian 9 VM running and migrate my websites/services over and running in the VM, THEN upgrade the underlying debian 8 to 9 once nothing important depends on the old 8 Jessie system…. ? Idea, a project, and more modern and robust. Wouldn’t mind a chance to reorganize/rationalize my disk layouts to mirrored RAID then overlay LVM on top again so adjusting space needs for LV`s is easier.