Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

On 2014年05月12日 12:22, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
.

Minor annoyances aside, the free software movement is a good thing.  I
just wish Stallman would spend more time improving free software and
less time boycotting open source[1] and nagging people who think that
judicious use of proprietary products improves their freedom of action.
Yeah I made the mistake of thinking about ESR and Stallmans views and reading ESRs net writings don't think too much of either of them afterwards, but at least Stallman contributes/has contributed some decent programs.

  > Caveats:
  >
  > * Never buy Apple hardware unless you have to run Apple software
  >   legally.

I don't know anybody who has switched to Apple who is unhappy with it
(except you).  Certainly most of my graduate students are happy with
their MacBooks, although some still have Windows notebooks.
Hate to say it but my reply is due to this. My last Macbook Pro had such hardware (or was it software - never could get a solid answer on that one) problems and the customer service here in Japan was pathetic. The effect was a disk error would appear every other month or so, incidentally when pressed for an answer I was told the error was an informational rather than a real problem, but that didn't stop it from causing disk encryption issues. I am back on a Linux Desktop after 2 years of that. If they had only fixed or replaced the laptop at some point I would probably still have a Mac. It really is sad for me as I liked the OSX system but I can't see paying extra for a system if their answer is don't worry about it, when it is a baloney warning their system is giving and causing problems for disk encryption and backups.