Re: [tlug] linuxdevices for display on a tv

On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 08:24:26PM +0200, Christian Horn wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2013 at 10:29:40PM +0900, Nikolay Elenkov wrote:
> > On 10/05/2013 06:22 PM, Christian Horn wrote:
> > Get a small size x86 barebones kit and build on that? Like an Intel
> >   NUC or similar form Gigabyte, etc.
>
> Nice, this is the most promising small Intel based box I have
> seen so far.  So only downside would be that I wont get my hands

I'm a happy user of a NUC attached to my TV. Works well and the Intel
xorg driver also does its job. Only issue (but you'll have that with
anything else also) is a lot of video tearing with default
configuration.
Using SNA accelleration in xorg.conf fixes it for me:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel Graphics"
        Driver          "intel"
        Option          "AccelMethod"  "sna"
        Option          "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

> to play with an ARM.. but the requirement for streaming from web-
> sites is anyway in the way of ARM.

The only first hand experience I have with ARM for playing video was
quite some time ago (3 years or so), slow GPU or bad drivers made it
impossible to play HD video. Maybe things are better now but GPU driver
openness still tends to be a problem as far as I know.

As for flash, not sure about the specific websites you use but even the
most boring Italian news sites are using HTML5 video instead of flash
(or if flash is not available) these days.

--
mattia
:wq!