Re: [tlug] External DVD drive

> It would be nice to have a USB optical drive, powered by the
> USB host, that plays by the rules. I don't know of any.
> Fortunately, many USB hosts don't enforce the power
> consumption limits.
>
> It might be prudent to shop for a USB optical drive
> that can get its power from either its USB host or from
> an external power supply (through a power jack).
> They exist, but are less common. It would not surprise me if
> a USB optical drive would read and write faster when
> using a power source other than the host.

The Panasonic drive I mentioned can be powered bu the USB bus (with
only one USB plug) or an external AC converter. The spec says it will
use 5W when running on USB and 15W when running on external power, and
indeed the speed will be different.

-> http://panasonic.jp/p3/download/prod_catalog/pdf_file/lf/lfp767c.pdf

--
Nicolas LIMARE