Re: [tlug] External DVD drive: LF-P767C-Panasonic: Power From USB Host or Input Jack

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:33:20 +0900, Nicolas Limare <nicolas+tlug@example.com> wrote:

[> On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 21:01:05 -0500, jep200404@example.com wrote:]

> > It might be prudent to shop for a USB optical drive
> > that can get its power from either its USB host or from
> > an external power supply (through a power jack).

> The Panasonic drive I mentioned[1] can be powered bu the USB bus (with
> only one USB plug) or an external AC converter.

Nice.

> > It would not surprise me if
> > a USB optical drive would read and write faster when
> > using a power source other than the host.

> The spec says it will
> use 5W when running on USB and 15W when running on external power, and
> indeed the speed will be different.

Awesome. Maybe I should get one.

By the way, my impression of optical drives is that many of
them are designed with little margin, either of profit or of
design. When I can wait, I burn at the slowest speed possible
in the hopes of minimizing the stresses.
I expect Panasonic stuff to be made better than lesser brands.
Even so, I would try to be gentle with it.