[tlug] External DVD drive

The DVD drive in my notebook is broken, so I was going to buy an
external one (*). Any recommendations or things to watch out for?
DVD-R would be nice, but is not essential.
This is for Ubuntu; I have an eSATA port, but I think using USB would
make it more useful; e.g. if I get some tablet in the future.

I was hoping to get one that is region-free, but I'm not seeing any
mention of region in the ones I've been looking at. (I think the one in
this notebook forced me to set the region the first time I used it: are
they all like that nowadays?)

Darren

*: It is still under the extended 4yr warranty, but sending this
notebook off for repair is not an option at the moment!