Re: [tlug] Classes

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Lewske Wada <ryu@example.com> wrote:
> What Americans don't understand is the fact that
> excellent students must bully others.
> They just think all men and women are created equally.

Wow, where did that come from? I have not seen any bullies or elitist
in this thread, just opinions.

"If your compiling software and setting up linux from scratch then
your probably doing it wrong".  Whilst this opinion could be viewed as
dismissive and judgemental, I would not think of it as bullying. I can
also see that this comment, "If you got with any of the "dumb it down
for simple users distributions"" could also be viewed as dismissive,
but bullying... I do not personally think so. I simply do not agree
with either sentiments.

In my opinion use what ever you want and whatever you feel comfortable
using, but be clear in what you mean "I want to learn Linux".

Once that is clarified take the steps you want at the pace you want
and stop when you are at a level you want to be at, or not. For some
using a web browser whilst logged into a machine is "using Linux"[1],
for others it is compiling, tweaking, pulling apart, reassembling,
coding and so on that defines their "using Linux"[2].

In short define what you want from Linux then ask the list for ideas
on how to achieve that goal. Then do not shoot the free help messenger
when they deliver their message... The inverse of this is for the list
to try and ascertain, if they are interested in doing so, the level of
Linux prowess the original poster is seeking before handing out the
"go and compile stuff" or the "go and use an end user distro" advice.

> Now I understood what this club is all about.
> Please accept my apology.

Combined with the previous statement I'm assuming, but hoping not,
that this is sarcasm. If it is not sarcasm and Edward has somehow
offended you then please know that he is not American he is an Aussie
so make sure to insult his country folk[3] instead of the, in this
case, innocent Americans.

Regards, Keith

[1] That is the type of Linux user my mum is.
[2] That is the type of Linux user I am.
[3] I'm also an Aussie, and if you pick on us as an _entire nation_
you may have a point ;-) <= Note the smiley