Re: [tlug] Possibility to recover a hard disk by swapping control board

I'd agree with Francois that not providing enough
stable power to a USB drive is very unlikely to
fry it, but the partition table may be damaged.

I'd recommend getting a Mac-compatible USB drive
case* (with AC power supply), installing the SATA
drive in it, and checking the drive with TestDisk
by using a PC to boot a Linux Live CD rescue disk
containing (ideally) the most recent TestDisk.

PartEd Magic is one such Live CD rescue disk
(I didn't use it, I ran the latest TestDisk from
Linux on a multiboot Linux/Windows installation
on the affected disk, which had settings for
one partition munged in the partition table).

TestDisk supports Mac partitions.  You will
probably need to page through to the most
detailed screen (may take two or three scans
from Quick through to Detailed to find all
the possible partition table entries, and to
confirm -- by attempting to view files on
each partition -- which entries are correct).
This is awesome software, and the (French)
author is extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

In the unlikely event that you can't fix the
partition table with TestDisk, you can still
use the author's PhotoRec to recover image,
music and word processor files.

*Note: Such a case will cost maybe 4,000 yen
(you might want to buy a big disk for the case
then reuse the drive/case for backups). You can
buy a 3.5" drive case if you wish, because the
SATA data/power connectors are the same for 2.5"
or 3.5" drives.

Keith