Re: [tlug] Why am I not seeing Japanese in my web page on my Android?

Hi Dave.

> Any ideas why the phone would object to the Japanese characters?

There are three places a browser may be getting the encoding from:

1. An HTTP header, which may say something like:

2. A meta tag in the head of your HTML page, which may say something like:

3. The browser's best guess based on how frequently various character
codes in the document show up.

You need to avoid forcing a browser to resort to (3), as it's
unreliable across browsers and you never know when someone's going to
type in a particular set of Japanese characters that the browser will
mysteriously conclude looks like a bit like Czech. It doesn't matter
which of (1) and (2) you use, but you should check in case one of them
is saying the wrong thing.

You can check (1) here:
http://web-sniffer.net/
...or from the command line with: