Re: [tlug] Faxmodem Configuration

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 8:34 AM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
My troubles with iBus go back about a week to my feeble attempts to set
up my Kubuntu to send and receive faxes for a client who pays well; pays
on time; and does not want to hear the word "Internet" uttered in their
collective presence.  Let's stipulate that any discussion of how to
teach them connectivity is off topic and an irritant only.

I don't intend to act as an irritant by suggesting a work-around that you've likely already thought of, but hey, there's a chance.

I'd consider using a Fax<->Email service gateway to get around this problem.

If your client pays well/on time, I'd sign up for an eMobile contract, plug it into the back of the server, and when they ask about it, call it "the fax machine of the future".

Set up a folder that the client can "print" PDFs to.  The PDF file name should be the phone number, and anything matching a reasonable phone number will be faxed out and removed from the directory by a cron job that's hooked up to the email gateway.

Incoming faxes could be handled by the same - a cron job running, clearing out the email queue to a line printer.

Sure, this is a pretty asinine solution.  But given the parameters of the client's problem....

Mark