Re: [tlug] Faxmodem Configuration

On 06/23/2011 09:49 PM, michael eng wrote:
On 23/06/2011 09:27, CL wrote:
All I want is a program that lets me write my message in the word
processor of my choice, select the faxmodem as an alternative printer,
enter a phone number, and press the large, friendly red "Send" button.

I suggest efax (http://www.cce.com/efax/) and its' counterpart efax-gtk.
   Although I don't think you can "print to fax" with this, you can print
to a Postscript file and pick it up with efax-gtk GUI, type in the fax
number and press send.  I found it considerably less complicated than
either hylafax or mgetty+sendfax.

efax is what I have settled on for the LIN side of my desktop. The hardware seems to receive automatically better than it does in WIN using the standard fax service that is in the installed base, but the instructions aren't going through another OS to get there, either. However, it is more than a PITA to not be able to just print what is on screen on someone else's fax machine without having to jump through a bunch of additional steps. LIN isn't even playing in the same park as WIN on this function.

But, I have looked at ways to automate the print to fax process and can't see a way to make a set of external commands work.

Using a Thinkpad X40, I had zero success with the onboard "Winmodem" and
after much fiddling gave up and used an old PCMCIA modem - it worked
straightaway.

The Intel-based Winmodem in my R61 worked, but not well. With WiFi and RJ-45 Internet options available, I have found a number of workarounds when needed now that my PCMCIA modem has gone to it's final reward. I keep meaning to buy another but always seem to find another way to get the connection I need before I do.

--
CL