Re: [tlug] [OT] eBooks

On 12/10/09 01:09, Curt Sampson wrote:

> First, the 505 and 700 are now out of production

That's interesting. The bookstore I usually deal with has only recently
started selling them and they're high up on their "best selling" list, which
probably means I need to get my rear end into gear and get the 505 before
they sell out...

The 600 is only on pre-order as yet. But I did have a chance to try both
side-by-side at a bookstore in Preston and the 600 was just not up to
scratch. The "paper" was far too dark meaning very low contrast.

> The 505, because it doesn't have the touch screen/sidelight layer
> between the screen and you, has significantly better contrast and much,
> much less glare than the 700. (The 505 is beautiful; the 700 is livable,
> but annoying in many situations.)

Precisely, which is one of the reasons I'm fixed on the 505. It is an
extremely good looking device with a great screen.

> The 600 improves things considerably,

Not the price tag... It's 40% dearer than the 505 over here (£250 vs. £180)

And I respectfully disagree about improving readability - unless you mean
compared to the 700 (which I've never seen). The 600 is nowhere near as
clear and sharp as the 505.

> You may want to consider getting a newer model rather than an older one.
> One noticable difference between the 505 and the 700 is the software and
> speed. The ability to zoom and scroll across a page in PDF on the 700
> can make the difference between being able to read an A4 PDF somewhat
> painfully or not at all really.

I won't be using it to read PDF files.

This is strictly for recreational reading. Many of my favourite authors are
also published in ePub format, but with Adobe DRM. I have access to a
Windows-based laptop on which I can install "Digital Editions" and get the
505 authorized for use. From that point onwards I can use Calibre to
transfer (but not view, not that I care about that) protected ePub files to
the the device.

Depending on workload and other factors, I get through about 25 books a year
on average. I also live in a house where space is rapidly dwindling and I
really can't afford to keep filling it with books, which I like to keep once
I've read them. The answer is to buy them in electronic form. With eBooks
being cheaper than real, physical books, the 505 will pay for itself over
time. Not to mention the convenience of having 'x' number of books in such a
small space when travelling rather than having a suitcase full of the
suckers. If I can get at least some of those 25 books in a format that isn't
going to eat up more and more space then I'm all for it. The authors of the
last 2 books I've read, for example, are also published in eBook format, and
that would mean about 30 less physical books hanging around, and about £60
in savings...

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Murphy's law is recursive. Washing your car to make it rain doesn't work.