[tlug] [OT] eBooks

Hi,

I'm thinking in terms of getting an eBook reader in order to avoid filling
up my rapidly dwindling space with more books.

I've looked around on the web and undestand that there are several different
formats around that are supported by different eReaders, and that there's
also a certain amount of DRM involved.

It's the DRM that's worrying me a little. Am I right in assuming that I'm
going to have to use proprietary software (read: Windows software) to
transfer any eBooks I download onto the eReader?

FWIW, I make most of my book purchases at Waterstones. They also sell eBooks
and a Sony eReader that looks like the PRS-505, so I assume the former are
compatible with the latter (or am I giving bean counters too much credit
there?). The 505 also supports USB mass storage so maybe it will be
compatible with Linux.

Meanwhile I'm writing to Waterstones to find out exactly what format they
sell their eBooks in and exactly what model the eReader is.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

unix soit qui mal y pense