Re: [tlug] Git challenged (maintaining an Android build)

 Hi,

> The complete Android source doesn't live in one git repo, but rather
> in a collection of them[1].

Actually that explain a lot.  I thought I was checking out a branch.
I didn't realize a branch spanned repos.  I mean doesn't that seem
like it by the following explanation:

If you would like to check out a branch other than "master", specify
it with -b, like:
$ repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git -b cupcake

That's what I did and I have the source code in the directory from
which I ran that command.
Still, trying to use git from any of those directories results in:
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

I mean it's ok I can build fine.  I think git lives under .repo/repo
Once I get in there then .git works fine.

> Also, you may get more detailed responses from the Android Developers
> Google Group[3].

Yeah I've contacted them.  There is also a repo discuss group for the project.

Anyway, I had a major misunderstanding of how Android builds work
(aside from the repo layout).

Apperantly,
"On a given device, the platform code is quite tightly tied to
the matching version of the device-specific code, so in order to get
donut to run on that device you need to first have a donut-compatible
version of the device-specific code ", which means "The sad reality is
that it's currently impractical for the
open community to contribute in any area that requires to test on
hardware."

I wanted to test the bluetooth (and maybe contribute) but it doesn't
run on the emulator and if I make a donut build, all the hardware
specific code isn't release yet so my camera and sound and perhaps
even bluetooth itself won't run.  There must be people doing the
developing who have access to the hardware specific code so they can
run test builds.  Once HTC releases their donut binaries for my
handset, then I can build.

I was thinking my handset specific code that I pulled off which lets
me do builds of cupcake would also let me do builds of donut.  What
this means is that when the handset manufacturer stops doing version
updates then my version will freeze (though I'll be able to still do
bug fixes).

Such is life I guess.

Shawn