[tlug] [Solved] Re: Method/tools to create a video from images, but with control of when the images and for how long they show.

Hi everyone,

I went ahead and scripted up a solution like Edward and Tod's suggestions. I take the timing information (which luckily is all in minutes and seconds) determine the order and duration of each image and create hard links of the files, but calling
them img_1.jpg, img_2.jpg etc..

More clearly:

img_1.jpg -> title.jpg [00:00:01]
img_2.jpg -> title.jpg
img_3.jpg -> title.jpg [3 seconds]
img_4.jpg -> slide1.jpg
img_5.jpg -> slide1.jpg [5 seconds]
img_200.jpg -> slide_20.jpg [200 seconds 00:03:20]

Then using ffmpeg I can create an avi with audio like so:

ffmpeg -i audio.wav -r 1 -t image2 -i img_%d.jpg foo.avi

This works!

One small point of further investigation is why it only seems to work with avi. If I try mp4 with just the images it works at 1 frame per second, but when I try to
add the audio as either wav or mp3 it refuses to create the mp4.
I might try and see what happens if I then convert the avi to mp4.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Zev