Re: [tlug] OT: A Good Read

After reading the article, I think you can take the point he makes
beyond the difference of "working with your hands" and "sitting at a
desk".

The key is something else. Whatever you do, whether you repair bicycles,
write software, translate or sell icecream, you should always take a
step back and reflect on what you are doing.
Do I use the method that leads to the best result?
Do I act in the best interest of my customer?
He makes a case for old-fashioned craftsmanship.

With a hands-on task like repairing a bike, the your work gets immediate
feedback. Either the bike runs or it doesn't. It's the same with
software.

What he criticizes are corporate cultures where your work is not judged
by the quality of your results, but compliance to standard procedure and
personal ego.

I think we all know products where it immediately shows which one has
the priority at the maker company.

Martin