Re: [tlug] Right Alt-key changes

Josh Glover wrote:

2009/5/15 Charles Muller <cmuller-lst@example.com>:

I don't know if this is a Debian issue, or if it is Linux-wide, but
the most recent installations I've done with straight Linux and
(K)Ubuntu all seem to disable the function of the right alt key--a
royal PIA for anyone who uses (X)Emacs.

Yeah, this is likely a function of the keymap that is being selected
for you. Is this happening on multiple machines, or just one? What
kind of keyboard are you using?

Three different machines, but all Dells, using a standard Dell USB keyboard.

But it seems that there must be a way to do this at a more fundamental level.

Yes, there is. If you answer these questions, I can tell you where to
start poking:

2. What keymap is X using? Run: "setxkbmap -print" (I think this'll do it.)

    chuck@example.com:~$ setxkbmap -print

    xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev(jp106)+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types     { include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat    { include "complete+japan"	};
	xkb_symbols   { include
    "pc+jp+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch)"	};
 	xkb_geometry  { include "pc(jp106)"	};
     };

I do see something that looks like a clue in this, but I'll let Josh be the judge of that.

Thanks,

Chuck

--
-------------------

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
Akamon kenkyū tō #722
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan