Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 18:44:49 +0900
- From: Stephen Lee <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20090227084905.GF6449@example.com> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <49B86E23.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4A07A439.email@example.com>
John Fremlin <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote: > > The font I was using was Cyberbit. My boss, Mr Kuroda, dislikes it > because it is too regular -- it doesn't use a brush stroke style and so > does not "appear Japanese". I suppose this is what Gernot is referring > to regarding gyou-shotai. I personally think Mincho and Gothic are enough for a technical presentation, however you can try a kai-shotai (楷書体) font if he prefers a brush stroke style. http://www.akibatec.net/wabunfont/category/kaisho.html Gyou-shotai is too artsy for this. > All in all, it seems that this problem is not confined to LaTeX, but > that generally the free fonts for Japanese are not very beautiful. [...] > Just to confirm, I've tried all three font families offered by CJK LaTeX > Mincho, Gothic and Marumoji and they were all met with disapproval. I went back and looked at your PDF and the font in it do look "bad" to me, but I'm not sure how much of it is from the design of the font and how much from its unfamiliarity. However, something like the extra space between ラ and イ in ライブラリ on the 2nd page, and the horizontal strokes of ラ and ブ (one going down, one going up) does stand out and make it look unbalanced. So maybe just a different Mincho font is sufficient... -- Stephen Lee <email@example.com>
- Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- From: Hideki Yamane
- [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- From: John Fremlin
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Tlug Digest, Vol 41, Issue 14
- Next by Date: [tlug] moving offices means free stuff for you!
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links