Re: [tlug] Overall H/W support for Linux on the Eee PC

Quoting Alain Hoang <hoanga@example.com>:
Wireless hardware detected but connecting to a wifi network with wep failed using the bundled NetworkManager app which made this rather useless. So many of the wifi guis in Linux have been fickle in my experience which is a shame. Especially on laptops.

I may try opensuse on the SDHC card slot on my 1000 to see how it compares.

I actually went ahead and put fedora 10 on here and I've got mixed feelings on it..

h/w summary:

what works:
ethernet
wireless
sound
fn keys for dimming the screen

what doesnt work:
camera
other fn keys
suspend
hibernate

I used this url to help with the hardware support, but I haven't tried to make the fn keys work yet:

After the OS install + obligatory 'sudo yum -y update', ethernet works, sound works, and the pretty kde4 gui with anti-aliased fonts looks nice (to me, at least.. i know others have complained about kde4)

Wireless, as others have said elsewhere on the net, doesn't work without an ralink driver. However, that is now helpfully available for fc kernels on the rpmfusion yum repositories.

As a side note, I also tried (for the first time) to get my emobile D02HW to work in linux, and that went flawlessly. I'm really impressed with how well this works in linux.