Re: [tlug] Overall H/W support for Linux on the Eee PC

On Jan 21, 2009, at 7:53 AM, Pietro Zuco <pietro@example.com> wrote:

I have an eeePC 1000H that I bought a couple of months ago.
I use Slackware as my default distribution. Unfortunately I have no time to configure it (no wireless and camera), so I started to look for a distro that support as much as hardware as possible. I tried Ubuntu (No wireless and camera recognition) Fedora (The same) finally I got it working 100% with OpenSuse.

Based on this data point I just put opensuse 11 with kde4 on my 701 and found it detected most things but found the post install rather disappointing in some ways and some parts very nice

Suspend works flawlessly without having to twiddle anything.

I did not check the webcam but X came up just fine and most of the devices detected fine.

However two major dealbreakers for me are...

Wireless hardware detected but connecting to a wifi network with wep failed using the bundled NetworkManager app which made this rather useless. So many of the wifi guis in Linux have been fickle in my experience which is a shame. Especially on laptops.

Also I don't know if its kde4's lack of respect for lower resolution screens or opensuse's configuration of kde4 but I found dialog box after dialog box with buttons never fitting on the screen which is really irritating when you cannot click Yes or Shush and let me do work

Perhaps gnome is better but I am skeptical. Contemplating going Debian with customized kernel or just toss kde and use something more barebones for a gui

Alain