[tlug] Japanese support, IME, etc. on ASUS eeePC

I have been considering buying the minimal ASUS eeePC
to use as a carry-around system. The price ($A317) and
size are good, and all I really want is a working
browser and login capability onto other systems

I do need Japanese support (fonts, IME, etc.). Looking back
in the TLUG archives I see references by Baba Yoshihiko
to some instructions at:
http://siam-breeze.seesaa.net/article/73168030.html which
indicate it's really quite simple. The Xandros Linux
seems to be based on Debian etch, and hence it just seems
to be matter of a few apt-gets.

Can anyone confirm that this is still working? Other
forums I have seen are saying things like many
etch-based  packages are breaking during installation
on the eeePC due to the age of the Xandros distro.

Thanks

Jim

--
Jim Breen