Re: [tlug] Gigabit Internet connection

Nick Bikkal wrote:
> I'm getting upgraded automatically myself. This information is good to know.

What are they upgrading you from?  I nearly got taken in with an upgrade
at my last house.  They had originally installed what was the equivalent
of a basic type (a dedicated 100Mbit link to the ISP) and were trying to
switch me to some type of family plan (100Mbit to the nearest node and
shared 1Gbit to the ISP).  They touted it as a 1Gbit link.  After
quizzing the ISP, not the link provider, the ISP pointed out that there
was no advantage to me, as the link to the  first node would be the
limiting factor.  There was also the potential disadvantages of having a
shared link to the ISP.  If you already have a shared link then it might
not make any difference, but don't count on the link provider telling
you about any potential downside.

Edward