Re: [tlug] Gigabit Internet connection

On 2008-12-09 09:15 +0100 (Tue), Attila Kinali wrote:

> ...the limit is given by the acheivable SNR (limited by cross
> coupling, coupling of outside noise, damping) and by the maximum
> allowed radiation (every long wire is a sending _and_ receiving
> antenna).

Yes, that's exactly what I meant to say! :-)

> I'd be really surprised if anyone got to much more than 100Mbit/s
> over normal telefon wires. Actually, if they really got acheivable
> 100Mbit/s over telefon wires...

Depends on what you consider a "telephone wire." For example, I'd expect
that most don't have loading coils these days.

Here in Japan, we've got something called "Family" fibre, which
basically means that they terminate one strand at the demarc (or "MDF",
as they so cutely put it in Japan) in an apartment building and share
it amongst everyone. You get to the fibre via a pair of 100 Mbps SDSL
modems running over the internal building cabling. Now I don't know if
these *really* do 100 Mbps, but mine certainly managed more than 80
in each direction simultaneously when the tech. was testing the link
between my apartment and some place down the line. I'm on the fifth
floor; the demarc is on the first floor.

We also have in Japan systems that will network over home power cable
(yes, the 100V stuff), which if I recall correctly claim to run at about
180 Mbps.

cjs