Re: [tlug] Gigabit Internet connection

TLUG,

So I went and applied to upgrade to the 1Gb internet connection, and it seems that it will be activated when they send me a new router, or "home gateway" as they call it.

I was kind of confused because I asked if they needed a guy to come over and install a new modem, like they did last time I had a change of service, but they said no.

That puzzled me, because I was pretty sure that if they are going to change the modulation, as Curt explained to me here earlier, then surely the modem needs to be changed to be able to understand the signal.

Then today, I was looking at my modem, and I see that it has a 1Gb Ethernet output on it already. In other words, it seems as though the modems they have been providing for a while now might have been in anticipation of this coming upgrade (they sent me my current one about a year ago).

So I guess the "home gateway" router thing they send will simply complete the circuit from the modem to my computers, and then they can up the bandwidth.

At least, I hope it's as simple as that.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G