Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

Shin MICHIMUKO writes:

 > The copyright situation in Japan is a good example. In US, "freedom of
 > speech" has preemptiveness to copyright, but it's opposed in Japan. You
 > may remember that Japanese bloggers couldn't release the list of dead
 > people (name only) when Hanshin Earthquake disaster happened, because
 > the copyright law doesn't clearly allow them to gather the information
 > from the other news sources.

Heh, you bet I remember.

But, actually, it clearly does permit in the case of life or death
information if the copying is essential to communicate to interested
parties such as relatives.  As NHK's lawyers eventually admitted to
us.

BTW, Yamashita-san at Stanford and Araki-san in Quebec did take the
risk (and as the Olympic swimmers found out and I'm sure they were
aware, the Japanese courts don't hesitate to claim jurisdiction over
the actions of Japanese overseas).

 > other. Anyway, I hope the situation will be improved in the future by
 > studying the effect of Confucius or the Japanese history...

There is always the works of van Wolferen .... ;-)