Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

Hm, many of Japanese should improve the attitude for people from other countries.

From: Jim Grisanzio <Jim.Grisanzio@example.com>
Sent: 2008年05月20日 09:26:04

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
The Japanese neither
want foreigners to stay a minute longer than they're needed for the
job at hand, nor do they expect them to, whereas (corporate) America
has been far more welcoming (to the H1B elite, anyway), and succeeded
in corrupting most of them into staying.

I don't think it is applied to every Japanese people. I know many people from outside of Japan like you guys and I have learnt lots of things from those people.

I belong to Catholic church and have learnt in a missionary school, and many people came from outside of Japan in those area. Of course day are doing their job, but the job won't finished in the near future, and no one expect those people go back home quickly, but stay in Japan as long as possible, since we know they are contributing a lot in Japan.

When I came here I was told (rather sarcastically) that "most foreigners just leave after a couple of years" and considering how I have been treated so far I can see why. :)

The impression should be different, if your first place was in the different groups or organizations. But yes, unfortunately, some (or many) of the companies settles in Japan send many people from outside of Japan and pull them out before learning about Japan in detail. I am feeling that Japanese society is pretty complicated even for Japanese, and cannot believe that people from outside Japan can learn the details in short term.

It's interesting, though, I don't find these conversations taking place among my western colleagues in China. Not even close, actually. For all its faults (and there are many), China seems to be changing regarding this one issue while Japan remains utterly clueless about it. Generalizations, I realize.

Do you mean that China is welcoming people from outside of the country than Japan? Maybe true and maybe not. China is emerging market, and they are welcoming people/companies from outside China, of course. However, I know some examples that they changed their mind for some cases. If some competitive company grown in China wants to compete with foreign companies, sometimes the regulation or written contracts were changed by government operation suddenly. So, I have to say it depends on the situation/location even in China by my small experiences.

Having said that, though, the longer I stay the more Japanese developers I find who reject this exclusionary attitude. I find those guys remarkable. They they have a lot to teach the west (and me especially). Who knows. I haven't been here long enough to really know what I'm talking about. :)

I hope that everybody can understand that Japan is a small country but has long history. The initial reaction of Japanese people when they meet foreign person is checking the person if s/he is becoming our friend or not. I was treated exactly the same in US, when I was sent there (New York) to check if one of the development goes correctly, so I guessed that the situation won't be different in any countries. However, once you have found a friend in Japan, perhaps s/he will tell you the way of thinking of Japanese people.

Anyway, I hope you can live longer in Japan peacefully.

---Shin.
--
== Money is one of the minimum conditions to do anything, but... =======
  Shin MICHIMUKO <smitimko@example.com> http://www.peanuts.gr.jp/