Re: [tlug] Linux distro!: Centos is RHEL

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:15 AM, SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:
> On 4/21/08, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:
>
>  /../ the Vine Linux download page
>  was incomprehensible and they're apt not rpm.

While I certainly do not begrudge you your choices, I do feel you have
been somewhat rash in your comments: The Vine linux download page is
hardly very different from the Debian download page, with two
different ISO images available for download (i386 and PPC), as well as
access to the FTP server if you want to:

http://vinelinux.org/getvine-en.html#Download

Or a simple explanation and condensed summary plus download links here:

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04672

I admit that if you insist on RPM this is no good, and also if you are
in different architectures than i386 or PPC.

>  Does Ubuntu support both the proprietary accelerated ATI driver and Japanese?

Not sure about ATI, wait till Thursday for Hardy Heron to come out
with official announcements... but Japanese language yes, definitely,
just like Debian has. I will argue that the support in Vine (and
probably other Japanese distros) is a lot better, especially in terms
of the actual fonts used, and probably also as regards kanji henkan
back-ends and dictionaries.

>  I'm almost willing to give up rpm compatibility if I get something in
>  return.  I still
>  remember the horror of Storm Linux and trying to remove a package in apt and
>  having 2/3 of my packages removed at the same time.

I hate to say this, since I am a complete idiot at computers, but most
of your problems probably stem from not knowing how to use
synaptic/aptitude/apt/dpkg. Please note that this is a strength of
apt: I have heard that rpm often lets you do things without propel
checking of dependencies (how accurate this comment is I don't want to
know nor start a flame war!)

Regards, Gernot