Re: [tlug] The Mother of All (bash) Commands

SL Baur wrote:
>  The GNU variants
of the standard Unix utilities are in general over-engineered and downright
awful.

I remember when I achieved Unix enlightenment: it was when, after having just read the source to GNU sync(1), I read the source to BSD sync(1).

BSD, modulo licensing and copyright information, goes like this:

 #include <stdlib.h>
 #include <unistd.h>

 int
 main(int argc __unused, char *argv[] __unused)
 {
	sync();
	exit(0);
 }

GNU, needless to say, does not.

(I still get the occasional fond thoughts about Plan 9, but that's another story.)

--
Writing software is more fun than working.