Re: [tlug] The Mother of All (bash) Commands

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:22:19 -0500
"Daniel A. Ramaley" <daniel.ramaley@example.com> wrote:

> I'm fond of tar over "cp -a" because it prints out the file names as it
> copies them so i have an idea how far along it is. But if not copying
> much stuff, cp is certainly easier.

Ever tried cp -v ? :-)

> And i prefer tar over rsync for
> basic copying because tar is faster.

Yes, rsync is horribly inefficient in nearly all ways.

Backing up a maildir folder with about 650k files takes
about an hour. And it doesn't matter how many new mails
arrived. Making a tar ball of the same directory does
take only about half an hour... for 5G2 of data on a
stone age Sun E3000 (ie, absolutely CPU limited).

			Attila Kinali
                         -- Deed of Morred