Re: [tlug] Bashing away at Unix

On 3/14/08, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
> SL Baur writes:
>
>   > Truth be told, the reliance of Unix user space on a specific
>   > meaning of /bin/sh is no different than the reliance of Microsoft
>   > Windows user space on a user browser == Internet Explorer.
>

> I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that you could write that.
>
>  The difference is that the behavior of sh is defined and that
>  definition is published.  This is no different from any other issue of
>  standard conformance.

It's defined yes, but what does your system do when you run the script:

#! /bin/sh
echo foo ^ bar

The correct answer probably is that you see "bar:  not found".  Do you know why?

Anyway, the statement stands.  It may take a flask or two of sake for me to
explain it to you, Steve-san, but believe me, I can ...

-sb  (Who once had a system that would not boot because of the above)