Re: Linux docs (was:Re: [tlug] Re: IPv6)

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 19:28, burlingk@example.com wrote:
>I imagine that binary compatability is nill (The whole
>Different kernel thing and all), but what is source
>compatability like between Linux and Unix in most cases?

Sorry for the slow response; last Thursday was Thanksgiving so i took
most of the week off. As to your question, source compatibility between
all Unix-like systems (including Linux) is generally quite good. All
the software that i use on a daily basis runs on OpenBSD, for instance,
so it would be possible for me to switch to that on my desktop if i so
chose. As for binary compatibility, sometimes it is possible. Most
Unixes have some way to run other Unixes' binaries that works (for some
definition of "works"). In the case of OpenBSD, it can generally run
Linux binaries that don't depend on functionality present in the Linux
kernel but not in other systems. However, running foreign binaries is a
hassle and usually it is better to install a native package or compile
from source. Binary compatibility is really only worth the effort for
proprietary software where source is not available. That said, i don't
use enough proprietary software to have ever needed to mess with binary
compatibility and so my knowledge comes from perusing the documentation
and watching questions on the e-mail lists.