Re: Linux docs (was:Re: [tlug] Re: IPv6)

On 2007-11-26 08:36 -0600 (Mon), Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:

> Most Unixes have some way to run other Unixes' binaries... However,
> running foreign binaries is a hassle and usually it is better to
> install a native package or compile from source. Binary compatibility
> is really only worth the effort for proprietary software where source
> is not available.

Well, I'm not quite in agreement with that. I use NetBSD on my desktop
machines. I run the Linux binary for Adobe reader because there's no
NetBSD binary available, but some months ago I also stopped building the
NetBSD Firefox binary in favour of using a precompiled Linux one because
it was just easier, and the difference isn't really noticable (except
for some font rendering differences where I can't even decide which one
is better).

For me, at least, installing the Linux version of something via pkgsrc
doesn't feel any different than installing a package in Ubuntu, except
of course the exact characters you type are different.

cjs
Starling Software     <office-admin@example.com>