Re: Emacs splash screen [was: Re: [tlug] lynx proxy settings

Curt Sampson writes:
 > On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 >
 > > Nowadays you have to prove yourself before they'll let you have the
 > > header files and debug libraries. :-(  (Yeah, I know, it saves a lot
 > > of space and bandwidth, but a full distro should be the default....
 >
 > Actually, I'd be happy with just the header files. WTF distros want to
 > try to save a couple meg of space by leaving these out is well beyond me.

$ du /usr/include        # omitting everything except depth=1 size>1MB
2128	/usr/include/nss
1184	/usr/include/orbit-2.0
7020	/usr/include/wx-2.6
9448	/usr/include/qt4
1476	/usr/include/xorg
1008	/usr/include/poppler
1016	/usr/include/w3c-libwww
3220	/usr/include/stlport
1036	/usr/include/freetype2
4244	/usr/include/X11
2796	/usr/include/unicode
1928	/usr/include/gtk-2.0
35656	/usr/include/boost
2384	/usr/include/evolution-data-server-1.10
3408	/usr/include/postgresql
117460	/usr/include

I guess today that's a drop in the bucket, but on a couple of my older
machines ('00 vintage or so) I have only 1GB in /usr.