Re: Emacs splash screen [was: Re: [tlug] lynx proxy settings

Nguyen Vu Hung writes:

 > They don't understand users like cjs and me. XEmacs is there. I don't
 > know how hard is it to merge the code but RMS can it his way.

The code merge is mostly trivial, just a lot of testing drudgery.  The
legal issues (self-imposed by GNU for reasons they consider
sufficient) are nearly insurmountable.

 > I've seen a screenshot of emacs23 with a nice picture in the
 > startup place. Does it look very similar to XEmacs?

Not a question that has good answers.  Although I suppose they can be
configured to look very similar, there are a wide variety of possible
configurations of both that will look more different from each other
within a project than similar configurations do across projects.

 > If I run "emacs filename", it shows the start page on the top pane and
 > "filename" on the bottom pane. Thus I need an unnecessary  C-x C-k to
 > kill it.

Yup.  Political BS, who needs it?