Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:28:52AM +0900, CL wrote:
> It sounded so simple ...
>
> I need to edit a couple of script files for Kubuntu and need to be root to
> do so.  Kate doesn't have an Admin level and it is too difficult to figure
> out the editing commands in Konsole, assuming there are any.
>
> If I have understood the instructions correctly, all that is required is
> to enable the root account in System Settings -> User Management and to
> set the password.  Did that, assigning 'root" the Primary User Group of
> 'root' but cannot login.  Do I need to assign 'root' to 'admin'?  I'm lost

I believe that they STRONGLY recommend not doing that.  Is this really
something that won't work with sudo, for example, sudo Kate <filename>?

> And, why does Kubuntu switch to German when you log out and try to log
> back in again?  It is a language I read / speak, but why the change? BTW,
> when I try to log back in as root, the error message is "Anmeldung des
> Beneutzers root ist nicht zuelassig" (the "ue" should be an " 'u' mit
> umlaut, but I am not configured for German input here) which makes me
> think I am doing something wrong at a very basic level.

I would guess that you accidentally set German to be the default
language.  Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable in KDE can help  with
specifics of what to check.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Willow: The only solution is the final solution.
Xander: Nuke the school? I like that.
Willow: Not quite. Exorcism.
Cordelia: Are you crazy? I saw that movie. Even the priest died.