Re: [tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu

Scott Robbins wrote:
On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 02:28:52AM +0900, CL wrote:
It sounded so simple ...

I believe that they STRONGLY recommend not doing that. Is this really something that won't work with sudo, for example, sudo Kate <filename>?

I am amazed at the number of blogs and user self-help sites that start out with the same argument and then go on to tell you how to ignore the admonitions and set up a root account. About the only site that doesn't is the Ubuntu site.

I would guess that you accidentally set German to be the default
language. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable in KDE can help with
specifics of what to check.

Since German is among the languages I imagine that I can read and speak (don't ask me to write, I still break out in cold sweats trying to keep the cases straight [die, der, das, die, den, dem ... usw]), it is installed, but it is not one of the packages selected for regional and language settings. But, I _can_ duplicate the German login screen behavior on a fresh install of Kubuntu with English being the only installed language.

--
CL