[tlug] [Newbie] Becoming 'root' in Kubuntu

It sounded so simple ...

I need to edit a couple of script files for Kubuntu and need to be root to do so. Kate doesn't have an Admin level and it is too difficult to figure out the editing commands in Konsole, assuming there are any.

If I have understood the instructions correctly, all that is required is to enable the root account in System Settings -> User Management and to set the password. Did that, assigning 'root" the Primary User Group of 'root' but cannot login. Do I need to assign 'root' to 'admin'? I'm lost ...

And, why does Kubuntu switch to German when you log out and try to log back in again? It is a language I read / speak, but why the change? BTW, when I try to log back in as root, the error message is "Anmeldung des Beneutzers root ist nicht zuelassig" (the "ue" should be an " 'u' mit umlaut, but I am not configured for German input here) which makes me think I am doing something wrong at a very basic level.

--
CL