Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras

On 7/21/07, Stuart Luppescu <slu@example.com> wrote:
Well, to do this you will have to sell your soul to the devil and buy a
Sony product. (I bought mine before the rootkit fiasco happened.) This
article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camcorder explains:

Hitachi makes some pretty good off-an-assembly-line boxes. In fact I've had good luck with Hitachi stuff, from my refrigerator, to my vacuum cleaner and microwave oven. As for Sony - yeah, I know. I had bad luck with a stream of Sony stuff, from video cameras, to video decks and CD players, all of which died much too soon, so I had sworn off of them before that root-kit stuff came out. I have had good luck with their TV's though. I have a 1982 model that has never been serviced and still works; I bought one in 1985 that worked for 16 years before a part exploded and it died in (literally) a puff of smoke (impedance mismatch I think - it happened right after hooking the TV up to a new antenna); and the TV I usually watch now I got about six years ago.

Digital8 (1999), that uses Hi8 tapes (Sony is the only company currently
producing D8 camcorders, though Hitachi used to). Some models of Digital
8 cameras have the ability to read older Hi8 analog format tapes.

"Some" models? Well, I'll have to be careful then, as that is the specific reason I'll buy one if I do! I don't currently have any hardware that can play all those tapes I have.

My camcorder, a TRV-240 IIRC, has this capability, as well as the
TRV-350 (see http://www.videomaker.com/article/9491/ ). Don't know about
any camcorders being marketed at present that can do this (but I haven't
looked).

Thanks for the specifics! I've been wanting to do something with those tapes for some 15 years now. I think I better get them digitized before they degrade with age.

Lyle