Re: Sony Lovefest . . . . . (was Re: [tlug] Linux / MacOS X and dv cameras)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:17:15 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull"
<stephen@example.com> wrote:

> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Sony_BMG_CD_copy_protection_scandal
> >
> > I will never forgive or forget that shit.
>
> I dunno, man.  I mean, think about how you would construct such an
> exploit to work on Linux or *BSD, and then in that light tell me where
> the responsibility really lies.

With the consumers.

If they didn't insist on having an appliance that autoruns anything you
feed it so that they don't have to think how to run it manually, then this
"feature" wouldn't exist.

Sony-BMG acted as would any bottom-feeding, scum-sucking 'Net-criminal by
exploiting that vulnerability in order to infest the host with their
rootkit.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs.  It's
absolutely not.
                        -- Bill Gates