Re: [tlug] Trying to extract images from a PDF

Godwin, David,

Thank you for responding.

I've attempted to use GIMP to open the PDF file, but all I get when I do that is a large white page. The pixel size looks to be about right, so GIMP seems to be able to read some data, but stops there.

The source PDF file opens in XPDF, and can be parsed with tkpdf, so I'm assuming for the moment that it isn't corrupt.

I was able to separate out the individual pages I needed with tkpdf, and then I tried the Ghostscript command as recommended by Godwin, but got this error:

$ gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -r300 -sDEVICE=pngalpha -sOutputFile=image.png pg_0026.pdf
ESP Ghostscript 815.04 (2007-03-14)
Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA. All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Processing pages 1 through 1.
Page 1
**** ERROR: Unable to process JPXDecode data. Page will be missing data.

A Google search indicates that the PXD error is a matter of a missing module in the Ghostscript libraries. But I can't find any package for Ghostscript that provides that module in Synaptic.

Any other angles I can explore on this one?

--
Dave M G
Ubuntu Feisty 7.04