Re: [tlug] tokyo linux developers?

On Jun 4, 2007, at 8:10 AM, Josh Glover wrote:

On 04/06/07, Mattia Dongili <malattia@example.com> wrote:

(Though the only Japanese I know is "ææèãåãããã ã"... and I'm
not even sure it's correct...)

Nope. ææèãããããããã;)

You *can* write it with the kanji å in this case, I think (there is
some rule about which meaning of ããã is written correctly as åãã and
which is not, but I cannot remember it exactly).

Iirc "èã" and "åãã" are synonym - I guess the first one is the classical character and will be used more frequently in novels.

But you must always use the particle ã instead of ã for the potential
form of a verb. Hence æãèã but æãèãã ("read a book" versus "able to
read a book", respectively).

I think that is wrong - I'm quite sure (and "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" from The Japan Times seems to say the same at page 553ff. which is about the potential form) that particle usage is the same and that depends on the verb (åãã is used with ã while you'll say æãèãã) or the usage (like the difference in ã/ãèã)

Niels