[tlug] Looking for advice on the best way to rebuild a gentoo box

Zev Blut writes:

 > Recently I have had a number of blocking updates and other annoying
 > masking issues with my Gentoo box when attempting to update various
 > parts of the system or world.

Do you *need* these updates?  If not, Just Say No.  (Why "emerge
--update world" is legal, and marijuana is not, I have no idea.)

Spend some time doing "emerge --unmerge".

You might have more luck (outside of stuff like GNOME) with setting
OVERLAY_PORTDIR and cooking your own dogfood.

HTH