Re: [tlug] Looking for advice on the best way to rebuild a gentoo box

On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:51:14 +0900, <stephen@example.com> wrote:

Zev Blut writes:

 > Recently I have had a number of blocking updates and other annoying
 > masking issues with my Gentoo box when attempting to update various
 > parts of the system or world.

Do you *need* these updates?  If not, Just Say No.  (Why "emerge
--update world" is legal, and marijuana is not, I have no idea.)

I have learned this lesson, the only problem is I did not follow it until later on. Now I must clean up the mess.

Spend some time doing "emerge --unmerge".

Yes I have started doing some of this. Sometimes an unmerge does not catch it all so you need to do a deepclean.

Funnily doing this:

emerge -av --depclean

Tells me I need to do this first

emerge --update --deep world

So even though I don't want to do it it appears I must.  That or spend
a whole lot of time micro unmerging first.  So that this update world
will be a much smaller update.

Sigh.  It might be fun to do and see how far I can go without totally
breaking the system.

You might have more luck (outside of stuff like GNOME) with setting
OVERLAY_PORTDIR and cooking your own dogfood.

Yes that is probably best. I am finding that the things I really want to update or add tends to be ahead of the Gentoo portage system anyway. If I get my system to a smaller set of packages and just update these things that might keep me going for a good while.

Thanks,
Zev