Re: [tlug] Becoming Windows Free: Linux Lazer Printers

On 2006/10/31, at 23:50, Matt Gross wrote:

The other option is buying a new laser printer. My budget is no more
than JPY 20,000 and I would like it to work _well_ with Fedora. During
lunch today I walked through Bic Camera looking for new lazer printers,
but how am I to know if they work well with linux (because according to
the guys who work at Bic Camera, they SURELY don't work ;). Does anyone
have any recommendations for a laser printer within my price range which
will work _well_ with linux?

Hello,

Dell sells Lexmark laser printers that have been rebadged as "Dell printers". The 1700n series is usually around 28,000 yen but they often have campaigns. I picked one up for 18,000. They "speak" postcript (2 & 3) and have a builtin print server (e.g. network ready) and come with a 6000 page toner cartridge. IMHO even at 28,000 that's a pretty solid deal.

Regards, Keith