Re: [tlug] New Custom Server for Linux - Advice Needed

Josh Glover writes:
 > On 18/08/06, Joe Larabell <fred62@???> wrote:

 > > I have been running an AMD64 system with Gentoo for over a year now and
 > > have yet to run into anything that simply "doesn't work".

 > Right, because Gentoo compiles everything for your architecture. Not
 > all distros provide 64-bit versions of everything, and it seems that
 > you can get sucked into dependency hell pretty easily.

Coda doesn't work at all yet.  In fairness, Coda has underlying 64-bit
issues which upstream is working on---but 32-bit does work, and Gentoo
hasn't bothered with that.

procmail is also broken.  It can't be used as the MDA for postfix with
mbox files.  I'm sorry, but this is *not* a policy decision I want my
distro making, it breaks my existing mail setup bad.  Worse, the
Gentoo maintainers answer bug reports about it with "if you don't know
what you're doing, don't touch the restriction checkboxes."  Uh, I
work from the command line?  What restriction checkbox?

The more I use Gentoo, the more I realize it's only an incremental
improvement.  They've avoided some of the worst mistakes of the
existing distros, and despite being basically an all-new
implementation, they haven't regressed (a type of mistake that both
Fink and DarwinPorts are rife with).  So it's the best of a bad lot.
But my prediction is it doesn't scale past where we are today.