Re: [tlug] New Custom Server for Linux - Advice Needed

"Matt Gross" <mattgross@example.com> wrote:

> Here is what I am thinking I would like (my goal is to spend about 500,000
> yen):
>
> *	Dual CPU with hyper threading
> *	RAID 5 (Software or Hardware - what do you recommend?)
> *	4GB of Memory

The question whether you need that kind of spec aside, and forget
building it yourself for a moment...

For dual xeon 51xx (Woodcrest core) systems, the base system, CPU
and memory alone is going to cost you 500,000 yen.  You'll need to
sacrifice CPU speed if you want to get a hardware RAID controller, and
it is hard to stay in budget even then.

I played around with Apple, Dell and HP's web stores and the cheapest is
actually an Apple Mac Pro, esp. the higher you go on CPU speed.  They
probably got a good deal on Intel CPUs.

The Mac Pro has space for 4 SATA HDDs, but it seems that they only
connect to the on-board controller.  It has 3 PCI express slots (only).

The most expandable one is the HP xw8400/CT, has PCI express and PCI-X
slots, and 5 3.5-inch bays for HDDs.  The M/B looks like a Tyan but
seems custom-built.  (No such configuration on Tyan's web site).
You might also look at the xw6400/CT which HP is doing a sales of.

Dell is a little bit cheaper than the HP, but the M/B and case looks
less nice.

I have no experience with these systems, don't know how well Linux runs
on them :-( and you'll need to pay for an OS with the bundle whether you
want or not, so take this with an apropriate-sized grain of salt.

Stephen