Re: [tlug] New Custom Server for Linux - Advice Needed

On 18/08/06, Joe Larabell <fred62@???> wrote:

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006, Attila Kinali wrote:

> If you go for an amd64, then you have to live with a few
> limitations of software that doesnt work correctly on that
> system yet.

Maybe "doesn't work correctly" is a bit strong these days?

I have been running an AMD64 system with Gentoo for over a year now and
have yet to run into anything that simply "doesn't work".

Right, because Gentoo compiles everything for your architecture. Not
all distros provide 64-bit versions of everything, and it seems that
you can get sucked into dependency hell pretty easily.

Sure, sometimes the s/w I want isn't marked as stable in the Gentoo database and I if I
want it badly enough, I have to tell the installer to go ahead and install
it anyway -- but I can't recall even the untested packages giving me any
real problems.

Note that unstable packages (e.g. ~x86, ~ia64, etc.) are not
"untested". Gentoo's ebuild policy says that the ebuild must work for
at least the developer before it can be committed to CVS. So unstable
ebuilds have worked for at least one person. The rules for marking
ebuilds stable are actually pretty strict--the ebuild has to have been
out there for several months with no active bug reports and a
reasonable number of users.

-Josh