[tlug] sending mails to the localhost

Hi,

A newbie question regarding mail configuration:
I have seen some examples of scripts triggered by processes running
locally that use the command "mail" to notify the admin/root in case
something is going wrong. My question: do I need a full-fledged mail
server running in the host to have these messages sent? in this case,
can somebody point me to some sample configuration files that achieve
only this and does not allow outsiders to use it (to avoid becoming an
open relay)?

Thanks,
Hector