Re: [tlug] sending mails to the localhost

On 01/08/06, Hector Akamine <akamine@example.com> wrote:

I have seen some examples of scripts triggered by processes running
locally that use the command "mail" to notify the admin/root in case
something is going wrong. My question: do I need a full-fledged mail
server running in the host to have these messages sent?

No, you do not need an actual MTA. What you can use instead depends on
the distro; Gentoo uses a package called ssmtp:

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=ssmtp

Debian (and by extension, Ubuntu, I would assume) has a very similar
package, but I don't remember what it is called. I am sure someone on
this list will, though.

-Josh